Solar plant hopes to revolutionise Brazilian energy

PIRA PORA – Brazil has lagged far behind in the shift to solar power, but the continent’s biggest facility now being built in the south-east aims to give the country its place in the sun.

The plant in Pirapora, in the south-eastern state of Minas Gerais, has 1.2 million solar panels, covering the equivalent of more than 1,200 soccer fields and will boast a capacity of 400 megawatts, enough to meet the annual demand of 420,000 households.

French energy giant EDF Energies Nouvelle holds 80 percent of the Pirapora plant and Canadian Solar Inc the other 20 percent in a project with an estimated investment of more than two billion reais (R8,9-billion).

The panels were all built by Canadian Solar at a Sao Paulo factory.

Read more at e-News Africa
Image: EDF Energies Nouvelles

Follow 7minutesolar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: